[CQ-Contest] Re: [FOC] rumor confirmation

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: [FOC] rumor confirmation
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Wed Jan 9 14:50:34 2002

"It's only a matter of time before the only thing we need paper for is to
wipe..."

This is important stuff guys.  It is important to remember that the ARRL
Board must figure out how to keep the boat afloat or the paper empowering
you to operate the next contest--your ham ticket--will be added to the list
of paper suitable for wiping!

I went to listen to Jim Hayne speak at the last local hamfest (Mpls-St
Paul).  You take the individual costs of services provided and it adds up to
lots more than QST generates.  Far too many people value the League's
effectiveness by the size, scope, and quality of QST, NCJ, QEX, etc.  In the
grand scheme of things, these simple periodicals are almost irrelevant.  Is
QST worth $3 a month?  Not really.  But that $3 a month pays for spectrum
defense, the ARRL lab, contest administration, QSL bureau, supporting loser
books that somebody has got to print (Microwaves, UHF/VHF books, etc.)
promoting ham radio, new ham training, the website, lots of administration,
etc.

If you want to contribute constructively, make some suggestions about how to
generate a few million bucks out of a bunch of ingrates that bitch for
months when they get rid of "senior" memberships or add $2/year to the cost
of their beloved QST.  How many of your personal friends are NOT league
members?  "QST is not worth it" they say as they clutch their beloved HT
(that's their entire hamshack they are so proud of) hanging from their belt.
Start shaming and guilting them into joining up or forever "shutting up,"
which is what they would be doing if the TELCOMs get their way.  The FCC
would auction off each ham band, one at a time, and generate billions of $$$
of revenues.

The ARRL is the only game in town boys and girls.  The ARRL is the only
thing standing between your beloved ham bands and Bill Gates.

Cutting a few pages from QST sounds like they are scratchin' the dirt for
funds.  How about "entrance fees" for contests?  Nobody likes taxes.  Nobody
hates them more than me.  But the reality is what the bank account dictates.

My $0.02

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com

PS  I do not work for the ARRL.  This is not a paid advertisement.  This is
my opinion smakin' non-members in the nose!