[CQ-Contest] ARRL contest coverage

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL contest coverage
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Fri Jan 11 08:38:36 2002
On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Wilson, Mark  K1RO wrote:

> > How about posting a QST survey on the ARRL web site? If you want only
> > Jim, KZ1M.
>
> Jim, the problem with a poll on the Web site is that you only hear from
> those people who happened to be visiting that area of the Web site while the
> poll is active and care enough (one way or the other) about the topic to
> take the time to answer. Answers from that select group do not truly
> represent the opinions of a cross-section of the membership and cannot be
> relied upon for decision-making.

The only thing I can see wrong with the website survey is that some
members aren't on Internet.

Maybe it should be announced in the front pages QST that a survey is being
done at the website.  This may give an indication of how many members
actually read QST and how many actually care.  It could be a goodly number
of members DON'T care one way or another.  In this case, let the ones who
DO care have their voice.

"Industry standard" surveys have serious flaws.  Read "The Hidden
Persuaders" by Vance Packard.

73, Zack W9SZ