[CQ-Contest] QST

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QST
From: autonews@shaw.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Wed Jan 16 19:11:18 2002
I went back and re-read Mark Wilson's original posting. He said the idea is
to EXPAND contest coverage, not curtail it.

Yes, he said there would be a relocation of line scores to the Web. How can
that hurt? I only look at the line scores to verify my own score anyway.
Other than that, I read the Top 10 boxes, the writeup and look at the
photos. Any promotional benefit contesting may receive from printing page
after page of line scores is negligible, in my opinion, especially when
weighed against the benefits of more pictures, more writeups, more Top 10
boxes.

The writeups and photos have lately been insufficient, largely because
they're followed by so many linescores that's all the room they have.

Now considering that the two most powerful people at the ARRL are both avid
contesters, and could out operate most of the nattering nabobs of negativity
on the reflector, I'm inclined to take them at their word.

(I'm not talking about any of the elected folk, who can really only do
anything with full board approval anyway, I'm talking K1ZZ and NT1N.)

I think even AA2Z (or whatever his call is now) has been known to twist a
few knobs during a contest weekend too.

I said it before and I'll say it again: This is a GOOD thing! It's pretty
backwards to think that the Web isn't a better resource than a print
magazine for linescores and other data. The Web is the perfect medium for
this. The print magazine's talents are wasted printing line scores.

If anything, we should be promoting the idea of a link from contesting.com
to the ARRL contest pages and vice versa.

You're going to spend the rest of your life in the future. You might as well
get used to it.

73, ve4xt