[CQ-Contest] DID WE BUY SOME TIME?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] DID WE BUY SOME TIME?
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Mon Jan 21 13:02:35 2002
K4OJ worte:
 >HOW CAN WE HOOK NEW GUYS WHO WANT TO SEE CONTEST COVERAGE IN QST.

         I believe some first hand stories of contests by the
participants is the way to do this....stories along the lines
of W9KNI's writing style in his books about DX-ing or K6IF's
excellent story covering his preparation and participation in
the 2000 ARRL 10 Meter Contest here:

         http://www.k6if.com/arrl10_TOC.html

and K9PG's story about his operation from ZF2NT here:

         http://www.qth.com/k9pg/zf2nt.htm

I firmly do not believe pages and pages of contest results will
interest a newcomer in contesting.  Years ago, DXCC Honor Roll
listings were published monthly since the list was very small (~100
calls) and consumed <0.5 page in the small format QST.  Now the same
list can only be published annually because it has ~4300 calls in
the Mixed list alone and consumes multiple pages of fine print in
a larger format QST.  I can see the day coming when DXCC listings
will ONLY be published in the DXCC Yearbook.

         We need to change with the times and try to focus the space
we DO have in QST on contesting tories that will "hook new guys".
Personally, I would prefer seeing contest results on the Web, in
a more timely manner, with records, rate sheets, regional
comparisons, etc. than I would multiple pages of fine print results
in QST.

         Hopefully some of you that are good writers as well as
good operators will put your talents to use to write stories of
your contest experiences that will "hook new guys"...and I'm sure
QST would love to have you submit them.

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV