[CQ-Contest] [book] thoughts

Subject: [CQ-Contest] [book] thoughts
From: swca@swbell.net (Mark Beckwith)
Date: Thu Jan 24 14:34:55 2002
AD1C wrote:

>I agree with other posts about identifying the target audience FIRST.  This
>will set the tone and direction for everything that follows.  The goal
>won't be accomplished if the book/whatever doesn't appeal to anyone outside
>the CQ-Contest reflector.

Sounds like there are two clear choices - "already" contesters and
"wannabe" contesters.

If there's a third it would be people who don't realize yet that they want
to be contesters.

To contribute best to the overall health of contesting, my sense is that
the target should be people who have already gotten curious but who need
basic guidance in getting up to speed in the game.

So my vote would be for beginners/basics in BOOK form.

I also agree that if properly pitched to ARRL, each chapter of the book
could get the "Readers' Digest" version published in QST one at a time as a
series.  I don't think this would be the case for an "already contester"
version.

The section "czar" would possibly head up the digest/reduction for QST.

Mark, N5OT