[CQ-Contest] Not Another Contest Category

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Not Another Contest Category
From: k4ik@subich.com (Joe Subich, K4IK)
Date: Mon Jan 28 12:15:03 2002

> Sorry to put you to sleep with such a tired old argument but I
> have received more notes of support than opposition.

You have only received more support than opposition because the
culture is more supportive of efforts to penalize those who
excell instead of encourage those who lag behind.  Quite simply,
those who can, do --- those who can't complain.

> I beg to differ.  I give you that certain skills are required for SO2R and
> do not take that away from the operators at all.  However, we are not
> talking skill levels in the "typical" SO2R station.  These stations
> "usually" have more than one tribander, they "usually" have multiple
> transceivers, they "usually" have devices capable of switching audio.

SO2R is nothing more than an extension of what the top operators have
done for 40 or 50 years.  KH6IJ, W4KFC, etc. all ran multiple receivers
to check for openings/multipliers/etc. on the "off" bands.  Many top
operators in the 70's had a second C-line or a transceiver set up with
a tribander or trap vertical for the same purpose.

It is only with the advent of packet spotting and the realization by many
second and third tier operators that the best operators are still getting
to the multipliers before they are spotted on packet that the cry to
"ban the S02R" or at least "make them sit in the back of the bus" has
risen to mob proportions.  The top tier single operators don't care a
bit if one of their competitors is running SO2R ... it's less important
than other issues (antenna performance, operator skill, propagation,
practice, etc.).

73,

  ... Joe, K4IK