[CQ-Contest] Meet with the BoD

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Meet with the BoD
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Mon Jan 28 22:50:32 2002
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Meet with the BoD

> What is the official position on support of contesting?  Is it going to
take a more proactive approach in helping to mediate some of the disruption
complaints?

> In general, I'd also like to know how they view the long-term trend on
League finances.  Do they see an upside of any sort?

> 73, Ward N0AX

The ARRL supports contesting.  "You can't swing a dead cat around without
hitting a contester at the ARRL."  K1ZZ is known, among other things, for
his contest prowess.

As far as complaints:
"There isn't a facet of ham radio that doesn't receive complaints."

I heard no mention of a "mediation program" other than the ARRL stance on
malicious interference.

As far as finances are concerned.  The ARRL was staring at $600,000 of red
ink.  Pushing some numbers around and receiving some money (thanks to the
new grants and endowments prospector-- Mary something), the number is now
looking like $100,000 of red ink.

Haynie has set a goal of 200,000 members.  We are at 173K plus or minus.

There were more questions, I'll respond to them separately.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com