[CQ-Contest] Nagging problem

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Nagging problem
From: k6ll@juno.com (Dave Hachadorian)
Date: Tue Feb 19 09:45:06 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:34:29 -0400 snichols@mvosprey.com (Scott Nichols)
writes:
> My station, in part, consists of a FT1000MP, interfaced with my
> computer
> via the serial port (COM1) for rig control, and via LPT1 for the CW
> interface...Have old Heathkit external keyer and Bencher paddles
> going
> to the second paddle input on the 1000MP...I use CT as my contesting
> software...
>
> My problem...When using CT to send CW, I am limited to VERY low
> power or
>
> my 1000mp TX keys and locks on...The only way to unkey the rig is to
> turn the RF OUT knob way down...(I'm talking about 10 or 15 watts on
> 15
> metres

The printer port is much more susceptible to RFI than a serial port.
You could switch your cw keying line to a com port. I'm not a CT
user, but I think you can use one com port for both cw keying and
rig control. That should solve the problem.

If you really want to use the LPT port, you can try using an
optoisolator instead of transistor, or take your present interface
and use it to drive a 12v reed relay, and use the relay contacts to
key the rig. Put the optoisolator or relay right inside the DB-25
shell.

The fact that CT causes problems and your other rig programs don't
must have something to do with the way CT looks at the LPT port.
Make sure PTT is turned off.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com