[CQ-Contest] OO notices

Subject: [CQ-Contest] OO notices
From: jljarvis@abs.adelphia.net (jljarvis)
Date: Mon Mar 11 08:13:25 2002
I, too, received a Popkin-Gram, a few months ago.

Dave is a retired FCC field engineer, and evidently still
has the juices flowing.  While he has time to monitor...he
doesn't make stuff up.  (I won't go into the time he busted
my college carrier-current radio station...long ago and
far away.  I'm just glad MY first-phone wasn't on the wall.)

At the time of receiving his OO notice, I sent him an email,
asking what he was using for receiving equipment.  OO's are
obligated not to get into discussion with cited stations,
apparently.

While it IS true that you're not supposed to be heard out of band...
Receiver bandwidth comes into play.   This could manifest as
signal peaks being heard on 7150, indicated....when the TX
station was on 7153, and had FCC compliant emissions, in
all respects.

There's another side to it...and one we might do well to
contemplate:  If we have 2.6KHz wide filters in the exciter's
transmit chain,  and we overlay on that the resulting amplified
spectrum....it's questionable whether we should operate on
7153 LSB.  You would have to KNOW the spectral purity of the
entire chain--something we're generally not equipped to do.

I think Dave arbitrarily assumes the best here....if he sees
you're on 7153, you're ok.  If below that...he sends a love
note.  Not a bad thing to be reminded of.  Unlike that cop in
Pittsburgh...there's no revenue consequence.

Jim, N2EA