[CQ-Contest] Cable Modem Answers and Summary

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cable Modem Answers and Summary
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 09:54:55 2002
I didnt have time to reply to your initial inquiry, but I'm doing the same
thing you have done with very good success.

However, I bought the Dlink router that includes Wireless LAN and a
printer server port.  I bought a Compact Flash Wireless card for my IPAQ
PDA and can now browse the web and email from my living room couch! hi!
It's plenty fast enough.  Honestly, I dont use it very much, but it seemed
like such a cool thing I had to try it! hi!

There are security issues going wireless.  Even though you can create an
encryption code that should limit access, I'm sure it's not totally
secure.  I put the router in the basement and I live on a fairly large
piece of property, so my wireless LAN footprint probably doesnt extend
beyond my property line.

I did want to tell you that I have a 2.4 ghz cordless phone that is
definitely affected if you try to operate it within a few feet of a
Wireless LAN node or base.  It comes across as an intermittent buzzing
noise that doesnt keep it from working, but it's definitely unpleasant.
Not sure about using a cellphone nearby, but havent noticed a problem with
that yet and my 900 mhz cordless phone is unaffected.

Tyler K3MM