[CQ-Contest] The Difference Between Rules and Ethics

Subject: [CQ-Contest] The Difference Between Rules and Ethics
From: spederson@yahoo.com (Scott Pederson)
Date: Thu Mar 14 01:51:47 2002
Howdy all,

I've spent a lot of time reading the posts and absorbing all of the
information flowing (Nothing like getting 129 new Emails in a day!).

Incidently, I had dinner with Paul, K9PG the other night.  We had a
long discussion about the string of posts on the reflector. Here's my
take on the subject:

In my mind, Paul is really smart.  He figured that great contest scores
don't come from working all the big stations, but from all of the
additional smaller stations, or occassional contestors.

So, several years ago, Paul started going through his logs and sending
Emails to folks who worked him in the past and reminded them that "XYZ"
contest is coming up, and you've operated the contest in the past, so
please get on and make some QSOs this weekend...

This is something he's done for a while.  Sometimes (in the case of
Sprints) it is very effective in generating more contest interest and
activity.  Sometimes (as it was for ARRLDXSSB) it did not help much.
He only worked 44 stations of the 139 Emails he sent out.

Some DX stations love getting Paul's EMails.  It's like a calendar
reminder of an upcoming contest.  Some would have operated anyway, but
occassionaly he gets extra DX stations to get on and operate.  This
benefits everyone.

Never has he asked them to "only work Me".  His goal is to increase
activity for the contest in general.

Same goes for the SMC.  I am amazed at how the SMC has evolved over the
last few years.  500 members, Wow!  I truly believe much of their
success is due to Paul's bubbly enthusiasm for Contesting in general,
and it seems to rub off on other SMC'ers.  These guys (+gals) actively
recruit new members, provide mentoring and support to new contesters,
and encourage competition and comeraderie.  It sure looks like they
have fun doing it too.  What a wonderful combination!

Personally, I think the only thing Paul is guilty of is a Passion for
Contesting.

I just wish he'd move to Texas. :-)

73's,
Scott - KI5DR