[CQ-Contest] Spotting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Spotting
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Tue Mar 19 09:34:06 2002
On 3/18/02 6:09 PM, John T. Laney, III at k4bai@worldnet.att.net wrote:

>The filter would have to combine call and frequency to filter out a
>repeat spot.  You will need to allow a new spot on a new band or even on
>the same band but a different frequency.

Right! And you might consider comparing the comment field as well.

Consider, say a 40m spot that has QSX 7220. If the DX changes his
listening frequency (QSX 7240), you'd want that spot to go out.

So, I think an outgoing filter would compare the callsign, frequency
(perhaps matching within some small epsilon region) and comment with the
incoming spots for the last 30-60 minutes. If it's a match, the spot
would be supressed and not sent out.

With such a filter, you could spot every station you work while S & P and
not fear about flooding the spotting network with superfluous spots.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901