[CQ-Contest] MFJ-434 Voice Keyer Computer Cable?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] MFJ-434 Voice Keyer Computer Cable?
From: k3pp@ptd.net (Glenn O'Donnell, K3PP)
Date: Mon Mar 25 09:22:25 2002
Hi Tim,

I spoke with Martin Jue (Mr. MFJ himself) at Dayton a couple of years ago
and I suggested to him that MFJ sell this cable pre-assembled as an option.
He seemed very interested in doing just that, but it has not yet appeared as
a product.  I haven't seen anyone else offering a commercial unit either,
although some enterprising fellow ham may offer to build you one.  (I
actually would offer, but you'll wait a **LONG** time for it since free time
is incredibly scarce these days.)

I made my own right after unpacking it and running the initial tests (I'm
too impatient to wait for anything!).  It's "ugly" construction with the
circuit on a small board in an Altoids case (the modern day Sucrets
container for small ham gadgets).  The worst part was scrounging the 8-pin
plug for the back of the keyer.  It's an oddball connector that cannot be
obtained via a quick run to Radio Shack.  In the longstanding tradition of
amateur radio, I wound up butchering a connector from inside a dead modem.
It's ugly, but it works!

The MFJ-434 is a VY FB unit, but I now use it little since I got a good
computer and WriteLog.  It will remain close by, though, for those times
when Murphy decides to guest op at my station!

VY 73 de Glenn K3PP