[CQ-Contest] More QRP Bashing

Subject: [CQ-Contest] More QRP Bashing
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Wed Mar 27 10:12:49 2002
Not to bash, particularly, but isn't the trade-off for QRP to do by
technique, cunning, persistence what is usually accomplished with
power for lesser effort, particularly in contesting?

It would seem that interference problems are largely solved by staying
at low power, 100 watts, though QRP will definitely keep you off the
neighbor's radar. QRP contesters that I know do it for the challenge
of mind over watts, or because they have some deep-seated need for
self-flagellation.

That being so...

Why **NOT** point out to QRPers that zero beating the CQ-ing station
is another one of the mind-over-watt techniques that helps. And is
this not more pertinent coming from those who **LISTEN** to QRP
signals to work them?

Higher power stations get away with being off frequency by making up
with QRO what the IF filter has taken away with selectivity skirts. An
uncopiable signal dead on my frequency that matches my
sending/receiving timing will get some work to try and pull it out. If
it's up or down a bit, could just be another station elsewhere in the
world that is working someone that is loud where they are, and gets
ignored.

Not a matter of guilt, but how fine a QRPer can cut it to his own
advantage.

73, Guy.