[CQ-Contest] politically correct

Subject: [CQ-Contest] politically correct
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Wed Apr 3 12:54:38 2002
Tom,

I'm not sure where you're coming from.  When I say that I'm not "serious" in
a contest, that only means that I'm out there to hand out Q's, usually S&P,
for the benefit of other operators.  It's a recognition that my interest in
a high score in that particular contest isn't there, for whatever reason.
Maybe my equipment's not up to snuff due to my location.  But usually it's
because I have limited time to devote to that particular contest due to
time, work, family, or other neccesary tasks & obligations.

A contest I'll take "seriously" is one where I am planning a strategy in an
effort to place highly or even win.  For example, I put a "serious" effort
into ARRL DX Phone this year and did very well for myself.  Most years I put
a "serious" effort into the PA QSO Party, either for myself and/or my
club -- I've helped out a lot behind the scenes the last few years with the
club efforts and we're getting some really good contesters out of the
effort.  And so on.

So saying that I'm not "serious" is not by any means belittling nor should
it be interpreted as such.  It's just an indication of how hard I worked at
it.  I sure wish I could put a serious effort into most of the major
contests, it's just not possible right now.

73, ron wn3vaw

"Why, he's no fun, he fell right over."

-- The Firesign Theatre