[CQ-Contest] Dodgy spotting 'witch-hunt'

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Dodgy spotting 'witch-hunt'
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Thu Apr 25 17:45:35 2002
OK, so let me see if I've got this straight:

The packet cluster system was originally constructed for use by contesters
during contests.  It was most heavily used during the Big Six contest
weekends (ARRL DX, CQ WPX, CQ WW CW & Phone) and most of the other majors
(ARRL 10M, ARRL 160, IARU, Ca QS0, Pa QSO, etc.)

To keep it active, DX'ers were encouraged to use it during other times with
the proviso that they vacate the cluster during contest weekends.  To the
point that, for example, some poor schmuck who doesn't know this, who posts
a CW DX spot during a Major phone weekend will get yelled at or even locked
out for the weekend.

Now we have a proposal that to discourage packet cheats -- that is, those
who use the cluster in an unethical manners and/or in contrast to the posted
rules of the contests -- we flood the packet cluster with so many spots as
to force the system to break down and then be useful to no one.  That or ban
use of the cluster altogether.  All to force the "packet" guys to shut down
the cluster system that was originally set up, for better or worse, for use
by contesters during contests.

Am I missing something, or has this reached a new point of absurdity?

73, ron wn3vaw

"There must be some mistake.  The Pirates in first? QRM on my end,
probably."
--John W3ULS (and there's no QRM, either)