[CQ-Contest] 'bogus' check

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 'bogus' check
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Sat Apr 27 15:04:46 2002
My college club station (K3CR up at Penn State) was first on the air in
1909, and got one of the first Department of Commerce licenses (8XE) in
1912.   Now just try and convince the kids up there that they should use a
check of '12,' just like the rules state (year the station was first
licensed, right?)

A few years ago, I was told (when I got a check of "84" if I recall
correctly) that a would-be lawyer in the club claimed that under strict
interpretation of the rules, each operator was obligated to use as the check
the year HE (or she) was first licensed.

Another time, someone mistakenly used the year the club got the call (72) as
the check instead of year first licensed -- mistake was caught after about
70-80 QSO's and then they switched.  This was back in the pre-computer days,
incidently... anyway this was reported with the explanation when the log was
sent in so that no one else would get penalized for our mistake.

In any event, I know the question did come up once about the appropriate
check to use -- the Penn State ARC itself only dates to the early 1960's
even though the Penn State station goes way back, which is a whole 'nother
story -- and we were told by the ARRL contest folks at the time that in the
case of ambiguity, any valid check would be accepted so long as the same
check was consistently used throughout the contest.

And consider this folks... what do we do in 10 years time when the 2 digit
check "laps"?  Is there going to be a distinction made between "1912" and
"2012" checks, or are they both going to simply be "12"?  (Granted, this
will most likely only affect club stations, but you never know...

I have many fond memories of Sweepstakes operating from K3CR.  You can blame
my love of contesting on W3AS, WA3FET, K3UA, K3YD, AA3B, WA3WAW, the former
WA3WUD (can never
remember Howie's "new" 2x1 call) and a host of others.  And then there was
the time
the Young Gun Contester (who was a student at the time but not a member of
the club) who asked if he could operate the club station SO in SS because
he'd
been disqualified the year before under his own ticket... but if I mention
his call, he'll
definitely snub me at Dayton this year.  Hmmmm... tempting...

73, ron wn3vaw

'Never attribute to malice that which is adequately
  explained by stupidity.' --Hanlon's Razor