[CQ-Contest] dit dit dit dit

Subject: [CQ-Contest] dit dit dit dit
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer)
Date: Wed May 15 12:57:13 2002
The following message was sent by "KN5H" <kn5h@earthlink.net> on Tue, 14 May
2002 20:58:34 -0700.

> How can you be held responsible for others inability to copy CW?
> You shouldnt lose any points. Am I correct?
> de KN5H

This information (on how the "other guy" busts your QSO is provided to
you really as a "service".  It's good to see how other guys break your
QSOs.

To answer your question, generally one does NOT lose QSO points or get
otherwise penalized for others' mistakes.  However, in some cases - say
the other guy busts more than one character - some log-checking
software, at least currently, will not find a match.  So if I work
WA1AAA and WA1AAA logs me as N3MG (1 error), then I will get the QSO
and WA1AAA will lose it.  But, if WA1AAA logs me as N3NG (2 errors) I
quite possibly get a NIL and lose the QSO.  And it's quite possible
that WA1AAA will not get dinged at all as long as the call he entered
(in this example, N3NG) is considered a valid one.  So it does pay to
be sure the other guy "gets it right".

Please note that software changes all the time and I suspect (hope)
that this log-checking software "loophole" will get fixed sooner or
later.  Also contests have their own software and
different "penalties":  CQWW one loses busted QSOs plus a 3X penalty,
ARRLDX I think you just lose the busted QSO.

Mike N2MG