[CQ-Contest] Headset for contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Headset for contesting
From: windev@inetmarket.com (Gerry Hull)
Date: Wed May 22 16:37:39 2002
Hi All,

I find it very interesting that many comments suggest that headphones
for communication should be tailored for narrow bandwidth.  I cannot
understand why.  If I use headphones that have a narrow response curve,
I quicky become tired and can't keep the things on.  It
s like listening to a tin can.  Even when I'm doing
a CW contest with 100Hz filters, I want a full-bandwidth headset.  So,
I'm in the camp with the guys who like good quality stereo headphones,
although my Heil Pros work just fine.

You'll notice that the high-end ham rigs now have decent audio amps.
They used to use crappy single-chip high-distortion low bandwidth
devices.  Now they sound much better.  Do ALL the filtering before
audio, and it sounds great.

73,

Gerry Hull, W1VE/VE1RM
Hull Computer Consulting