[CQ-Contest] New log deadline for ARRL contests?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] New log deadline for ARRL contests?
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Fri Jun 7 17:13:39 2002
I agree with Randy & several others that the shortening the deadline, at
this time, does not appear to make sense.

Now, I'm all for getting contest results back in hand faster, but I think a
combination two things already in process will take care of this:

First, the posting of the results to the web when completed (which saves 6
to 8 weeks or more waiting for them to be printed in the appropriate
periodical & waiting for it to arrive snail mail).

Second, the significant number of logs being submitted in a standard format
electronically.  CQ already requires that all logs be sent electronically,
and it stands to reason that at some point in the future this will be
mandated for most or all of the major contests.  If the logs are in a
standard format, then it should be a lot faster for the contest committee to
compile data into their master database and then select only those logs that
may need scrutiny (for whatever reason) rather than handle pile after pile
of paper.

But shortening the deadline for two weeks, IMHO, puts an undue burden on
those who need the time to:
1.   go over their logs for mistakes -- as many have pointed out, there are
legitmate reasons for doing so
2.  need to return from travelling, either work or contest related, and then
get the logs in
3.  do not, for whatever reason, keep their contest logs electronically, or
do not use the correct format, or don't have email access, etc., and have to
make arrangements to get their logs converted or entered whatever and then
sent in to the appropriate email.

I'm sure that there will be at least two or three who will reply something
on the lines of "let them get computers, let them get a cheap ISP, and let
them get the right software!"   That's another thread for another time;
let's just say that I think it will be a sad day when a shack computer for
contest logging is mandated for contest operation (key word there is
"mandated")

73, ron wn3vaw

"And they give you cash,
which is just as good as money!"