[CQ-Contest] CW or SSB FCC says neither.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW or SSB FCC says neither.
From: paul@ei5di.com (Paul O'Kane)
Date: Fri Jul 19 10:05:23 2002
---- Original Message -----
From: "David L. Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>

> The new FCC Chairman told a group of hams that its time
> for amateurs to move to the new modes and leave what he
> considers are obsolete modes.

The new FCC Chairman may not understand how Amateur Radio differs
from all other radio services.

> He said (and ARRL agrees) that a mode such as PSK31 is
> superior to CW in weak signal environments.

This is correct, but it is irrelevant because PSK31, and other
data modes, cannot be decoded by the human ear alone.

> Amateurs are working each other with QRP where signals
> are below the noise threshold.  Listen to the speaker
> and there is nothing!

Then, whatever it is, it's not amateur radio - pehaps it's amateur
data communications?  In my book, if it's not Phone or CW, decoded
by the human ear alone in real-time, then it's not amateur radio.

73,
Paul EI5DI