[CQ-Contest] Follow The Money

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Follow The Money
From: wd4ahz@gte.net (Ron Wetjen)
Date: Tue Jul 23 12:35:05 2002
Schulz Jonathan wrote:

> My take on the whole thing; if the Web coverage could give us the
> results in a more timely manner and continue to be as good as the
> ones I have seen so far, (SS, ARRL 160) I couldn't care less that
> they are dropping line scores in QST.

Why is everyone missing the point?

Kid Q. Public picks up a QST at the local newsstand and skims through
it.  He sees a bunch of "low tech" articles and a lot of nice photos of
people doing stuff with HT's.  He thinks "geeks", and puts it back
down.  (He wont bother to visit the ARRL Web site - thinking it's more
"geek" stuff.)

On the other hand, he runs across something about a "contest" which
catches his eye - COOL!  He buys QST, and reads further, and perhaps
sparks his interest in Amateur Radio and getting involved in
contesting.  That "hook" will no longer be there.

If people don't even know something exists, how will they find out about
it?

Ron