[CQ-Contest] ARRL report on line scores decision

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL report on line scores decision
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Tue Jul 23 15:14:01 2002
On Tue, 23 July 2002, "Barry " wrote

> >  As the League is
> > interested in cost cutting, perhaps they should consider a dual-
> > priced membership:
> > One for those who want QST, and another price for those that don't.
> > Comments?

To which Michael replied:

> There'd be a price difference because... ?
>
> Michael Keane K1MK

For those who never had the option of econ 101 in grade school, eliminating
QST from your "membership" would induce an increase in your dues.  Why?
Because the more copies of QST that circulate, the greater the ad revenue.

Ever wonder why trade journals are free?  For the same reason QST is free.
Yes, folks, it is free.  Your QST costs nothing.  Zippo.  Zilch.  We beat
this topic to death 6 months ago.  The more copies they print, the more
valuable the ad space.  Reduce the # of printed copies, you reduce revenues.
The current circulation numbers appear to make printing QST a freebee.
Reduce the numbers printed, well, it won't break even any more.  I know it
may sound strange, but those are the raw facts of economics in the magazine
business.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com