[CQ-Contest] Deadlines, log checking, and paper logs

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Deadlines, log checking, and paper logs
From: olinger@bellsouth.net (olinger@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Jul 26 15:56:51 2002
ARRL will only take cabrillo, and they have a robot which bounces the log email
if something is amiss.

Otherwise they have the same problems you do.

I think that eventually the idea has to go away that there is someone at Log
Central who will convert and/or clean it up for you no matter how screwed up.

Go to cabrillo, period, clone ARRL's robot and bounce stuff that isn't in
format. No paper logs. 15 days. Run the programs and publish. 30 days.

Personally, I think it is arrogant and careless for people submitting logs to
think that there is a crew there just drooling to type in their logs and clean
up for them. Write a note back and ask them if their mother still picks up
their socks and underwear.

When all logs were paper it was a different deal, but it is a real stretch to
think that someone does not have access to a computer somewhere. Maybe
exceptions here and there, but 10% of the logs? Just refuse. PC's are
ubiquitous. Leave it to the log submitter to figure out how to get it into
email.

If one of our local contesters was having problems, the local chapter of PVRC
would do something to help out. One of our guys. Our business. Take care of our
own and all of that to keep up the club score.

Frankly there is enough stuff around, that in the rare case a DX type just
couldn't swing it, some number of us would put something together and SEND THEM
a PC, rather than lose the mult in the contest.

Have you seen the photo of an African native, nose ring, spectacular tribal
dress and headgear, spear, and all, setting down with his Mac powerbook, going
through his email?

TIME TO MOVE ON.

Things we do repeatedly on short notice and work around them when we're on
trips, etc:

Pay the mortgage
Pay the power bill
Pay the phone bill
Pay the water bill
Pay taxes
Renew driver's license
Renew car tags
Carry out the garbage for the collector
etc, etc, etc.

15 days to log, 30 days to final results. Yea. Bring it on.

73,

Guy, K2AV