[CQ-Contest] WHAT'S THE BIG RUSH?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WHAT'S THE BIG RUSH?
From: n6tj@sbcglobal.net (James Neiger)
Date: Sat Jul 27 01:27:49 2002
I guess I agree with Ron:

Even if we can maybe hasten the time to the final results, What's the Big
Rush?  Its worked so well for so many years, why do we now think it's
broken?

Just because many things in our lives CAN and DO go faster, does everything
have to?

For many years, the speed limit was 55 MPH.  Then they cranked it back up to
65, and in some places even 70.  Now, if you're not doing at least 80 on the
91 Freeway, hey buddy, get out of the way.  Does that make our lives
necessarily "better"?

I recall when I was thrilled with my first computer, humming along at a nice
16 MHz.  Now I'm wondering if my new 1.3 GHz notebook is fast enough?  Give
me a break, please..........

Everything today is about speed, speed, speed.  Even when driving in Italy
or Germany, do I take a relaxed tour @ 100 km/hour so I might actually SEE
some of the beautiful countryside?  Nah, I've got to try and COMPETE with
the locals, and crank it up to 200 km/hr (at least).  Is my quality of life
better by doing so?  I think not.  It's just dumb, dumb, dumb.

Now we're led to believe, we can't live without INSTANTANEOUS GRATIFICATION
on our contest victory?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But it's very thoughtful of The Kid (as
Trey is known around this household) to worry that we old guys may not be
around long enough for the final results.

The meaningfulness of the answer, for me, far exceeds the quest for
expediency, in this case.

Vy 73

Jim Neiger
N6TJ