[CQ-Contest] making lemonade (was: ARRL report on line scores decision)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] making lemonade (was: ARRL report on line scores decision)
From: brianmiller@xtra.co.nz (Brian Miller)
Date: Sun Jul 28 22:30:07 2002
Hi all

I have been working with the Oceania DX Contest Committee on the 2001 results.

>From my experience it would be very difficult or impossible to guarantee the
>processing and
presentation of results for a MAJOR contest within 2 weeks. It might be
possible if

1. ALL logs are in the correct electronic format (a robot is essential)

2. NOTHING goes wrong with the robot process and/or software

3. NOTHING goes wrong with the log checking process and/or software

4. The log checkers and web presentation writers are able to devote ALL of
their time to the task -
not just a few hours during the weekday evenings and on weekends.

The above is a BIG ask!

Lets look for some improvements but we also need to be realistic.

I think 4 weeks is a reasonable submission period. We do not want to discourage
logs from entrants
who cannot make a 2 week deadline. Furthermore some entrants will require
additional time to review
and resubmit logs that have been rejected by the robot.

73

Brian ZL1AZE