[CQ-Contest] DXpedition/Portable Radio Recommendations?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] DXpedition/Portable Radio Recommendations?
From: wd3q@erols.com (Eric Rosenberg)
Date: Mon Jul 29 02:27:44 2002
My travel schedule has picked up considerably, and it looks like I'll
be off to places far and wide for the next 12 months or so. I'm
thinking that it might be fun to once again take an HF radio with me
once again -- I did this in the mid-1990's with a long-gone FT-890.

If I decide to buy a new radio for the road (I'm not there yet!), my
choices will likely be limited to the following four radios, two with
and two without VHF capabilities. All four radios have gotten good
reviews in QST, so it may be a matter of availability and price...the
TS-50 and K2 being at opposite sides of the range:

FT-100D and IC-706 MKIIG, both of which have VHF and UHF (no need to
take a 2m HT with me, too).

Elecraft K2 and Kenwood TS-50.  Note I've never operated WRP, so the
thought of a using K2 is a bit intimidating.

Comments and thoughts are appreciated.  Send them directly and I'll
summarize for those interested.

Thanks in advance and 73,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC