[CQ-Contest] back to contesting?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] back to contesting?
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Tue Aug 6 12:38:26 2002
Kelly, VE4XT wrote:

> Be that as it may, PSK modes may be the answer to contesting during the
> sunspot doldrums, or for those of us in the black hole...
>
> Funny how the course of this thread changed from "which mode is technically
> superior?" to "which mode is most fun?" I think it has been demonstrated
> that PSK31 wins hands down in the technical superiority challenge but I'd
> have to agree it falls dreadfully short on the fun-to-do scale. (I mean,
> really, how can anyone contest the superiority of a mode that allows full
> copy on signals that you can't even hear?)
>
> That said, I will NOT be trading my Benchers for a PSK program anytime soon.

Good idea because PSK contesting, IMO, is not fun at all (yet).  Having entered
a good share of PSK contests, I can tell you that PSK31 is an excellent
conversational mode, but having nearly 20 years of RTTY contesting, I find PSK
contesting way too slow to be enjoyable.  I no longer participate in PSK
contesting.
It's just not fun.

I believe the ARI International DX Contest is the only somewhat-major contest
that includes SSB, CW and Digital.  When talking about Digital contesting, you
must think in terms of RTTY because any of the other digital modes are not
conducive to contesting at all.  There is a mixed mode category in this contest.
I normally operate this contest RTTY only, and will occasionally work stations
with serial numbers several hundred higher than mine so I know these stations
are mixed.  But the number of mixed stations appears to be low.

The CQ-M International DX Contest is SSB, CW and SSTV!  There is no
combined SSB, CW & SSTV category though.  There are combined SSB & CW
categories.

The Ukrainian DX Contest is CW, SSB & RTTY.  The single op and mult op
categories are all mode only.  But there is a RTTY only category.

For years, many RTTY operators have wanted RTTY included in the ARRL
10 meter contest (including me).  I dabble in the CW part of the contest,
but like a lot of RTTY operators, feel we are missing out on the fun of the
ten meter contest.  We feel the 28200-28300 section of the band could be used
for RTTY.  They could still retain the mixed CW & SSB category and add
a RTTY only category for single and multi ops and reach more of the contesting
community as a whole.  Even if RTTY was restricted to 28250-28300, it would
be better than having no RTTY at all.

I don't know that an all-mode contest category will ever be popular.  I'm
willing to guess that at best, many of us are two mode contesters but not
3 mode.

73, Don AA5AU