[CQ-Contest] RTTY Rates

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RTTY Rates
From: kr6x@kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones, KR6X)
Date: Wed Aug 7 14:46:37 2002
I can't sit quietly while this thread goes on.

Below, W4ZV suggests that because RTTY contest scores are
generally lower than their CW or SSB counterparts, he can
conclude that RTTY and other digital modes are slower and
have inherently lower rates than their CW or SSB counterparts.

I don't want to endorse AA4LR's software choices without
the necessary expertise, but I'd have to object to the closed
mindedness that W4ZV displays.

I'm a guy who "loves" the music of contesting, and for me that
means the chorus of SSB contesters, the symphony of CW,
and the grand combinations found in contests like the CQP.

But, for me, modern RTTY contests are like sheet music.
Sheet music just doesn't have the same sound as music that's
being performed.  But, old time RTTY contests with the old
Model 15's kerchunking away rhythmically-- now that was
percussion.

Be that as it may, I'd still have to object that with sufficient
activity and technical advancement the digital modes have the
potential for much higher contest score yields than CW and
SSB.  There's simply not enough digital mode contesting to
drive the scores up.  Perhaps this is because many digital
mode contesters are active on CW and SSB while only a
fraction of CW and SSB contesters are active on digital
modes.

When I began contesting, and W4ZV as well, the record
high CW scores for most contests typically eclipsed the
phone scores just as the record high phone score he lists
below eclipses the RTTY score.  How quickly he forgets.