[CQ-Contest] CQWW and Signal Reports

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWW and Signal Reports
From: paul@ei5di.com (Paul O'Kane)
Date: Mon Oct 28 16:53:24 2002
Hi George,

At 14:31 28/10/02, Georgek5kg@aol.com wrote:

>I have pondered other ways of reporting r, s and t, but have not yet come up
>with something better .  We could use, however, a system of reporting the:
>QUALITY OF AUDIO (clarity, compression, bandwidth, splatter, backround noise,
>etc.) and the QUALITY OF KEYING (weighting, too many dits/dahs in characters,
>leading dit/dah cutoff, manual fist, etc.). These are two quality
>characteristics that go beyond the present RS/T system, and would be helpful.
>Ops receiving poor audio or keying quality reports would/should be encouraged
>to make improvements!

I agree with your sentiments, but it's not likely to happen.
In the major contests, QSO rate is everything.  Further, if
additional/alternative data is to be recorded, you would have
to have the support of the contest logger authors - quite apart
from the contest organisers.

I believe RST is completely redundant in the major HF contests,
and I'm trying, in however inadequate a way, to get it removed.

73,
Paul EI5DI