[CQ-Contest] NWT & NL Frenzy This Past Weekend

Subject: [CQ-Contest] NWT & NL Frenzy This Past Weekend
From: k8cc@comcast.net (David A. Pruett)
Date: Mon Nov 4 17:00:48 2002
One factor which I believe played a part in the frenzy over NWT and NL
during SS CW this past weekend was due to the bad radio conditions which
were forecast for Sunday.  VY1JA himself said (paraphrased) "If you hear me
Saturday work me" which was a legitimate concern but may have fueled the fire.

I know at our K8CC multi the bad Sunday forecast made us eager to work any
of the less than common VE sections.  The specter of disturbed condx seemed
all too possible when the first few VE6s and VE7s we worked were not loud
at all and spots for VE4s and VE5s were barely audible here.  Nonetheless,
VE1OP had a good signal and was easily worked early on 21 MHz, and both
VY1JA and KL7XX had decent signals when worked the first night on 28 MHz.

Its always interesting to note which section multipliers turn out to be the
hardest to get.  K5ZD and others missed NL, while we had three call
us.  Too bad we can't set aside the spares for another contest :-)

Dave/K8CC