Fw: [CQ-Contest] Pirates, ghosts and things that go bump in the QRM

Subject: Fw: [CQ-Contest] Pirates, ghosts and things that go bump in the QRM
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Wed Nov 13 18:18:41 2002
Interesting thing about ARRL contests is this: none of these situations is
relevant.

Not entirely sure how detailed CQ rules are on this issue, but ARRL rules
provide no allowance for anything but the correct sending, receiving and
logging of callsigns and exchange information by both sides. If one side
fails, the letter of the rules state that both sides lose the contact. Now,
to be sure, the rules are not applied that stringently (if he busts your
exchange, you keep your Q, he loses his), but it IS what they say.

So if the other guy sends his call wrong, and you therefore copy the wrong
call correctly, the log checkers have only the rules to fall back on. They
don't know if you busted the copy or he busted the sending simply because
the rules do not provide for fault.

I would encourage anyone who doubts this to read the rules, ARRL General
Rules for HF Contests.  (Sec. 3.1, I believe.) You will not find anywhere in
those rules "...except for when one station sends the wrong call."

Computerized log checking simply applies the log-checking goal that has
ALWAYS existed to all logs, not just a select few. That goal is to ensure to
the best ability possible that the order of finishes is correct.

Log checking had far more warts in the pre-computer days than today. We just
didn't hear about them.

73, kelly
ve4xt