[CQ-Contest] Misleading callsigns

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Misleading callsigns
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Sat Dec 7 08:24:46 2002
Some interesting research:

ARRL 10 meter and ARRL DX contests both require your callsign to accurately
reflect your DXCC entity.

>From http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2003/intldx.html (it's the same for
10m)

6. Miscellaneous:

6.1. Your call sign must indicate your DXCC station location (KH6XYZ/W1 in
Maine, KG4/W1INF at Guantanamo Bay, etc).

So W8XYZ would not need to sign /W6 but KH6DX would.

The ARRL 160 rules are silent on this. I'm not sure, but I don't think CQ
cares either way.

Be that as it may, we can't force the other guy to obey the rules. His
failure to obey rules does not constitute a void contact for us. So log the
call he sent, change the mult field appropriately. If your logger doesn't
permit changing the mult field, perhaps its time to find another logger or
pester the author for a patch.

I'm not on the side of those who would enforce mindless copying of what was
sent (try putting 5nn into CT), but if you append /W6 for someone, are you
not unfairly giving that person credit for following a rule that he did not?
Despite the fact you can and should translate 5nn into 599 (as that IS the
intent), you should still strive for your log to accurately reflect what
transpired in a QSO, rules transgressions and all.

It should also be noted that while it may be a violation of a contest's
rules, in Canada and the U.S., this doesn't violate any laws, as FCC  and
Canadian regulations do not distinguish the various DXCC entities under U.S.
or Canadian jurisdiction. If you live outside U.S. or Canadian jurisdiction,
your mileage may vary.

Bottom line: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. Just make sure your log is accurate and
let those who are empowered to enforce the rules enforce the rules. I
certainly wouldn't waste any contest time arguing with someone about it.

73, kelly
ve4xt