[CQ-Contest] Misleading callsigns

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Misleading callsigns
From: steve@explore.force9.co.uk (Steve Reed)
Date: Sun Dec 8 12:28:01 2002
Misleading callsigns are of more fundamental concern to me than their
impact on logging and post-contest scoring.  One reason why CQWW is the
premier DX contest is a points and multiplier structure that rewards
contacts that are "difficult" (distant, rare, from a rate-unfavourable
area, etc).  Unless you happen to be exotic DX, perhaps in KH2 (K2?),
participants must look for and work specific stations to make a winning
score.  The success of CQWW relies on the ability to be able to determine
in real time the locations of stations heard.  Without this it would become
a strategy-poor rate-only contest.  I applaud rules which require calls to
best represent their location.

Occasional ambiguity in prefix - e.g. VP8, GB, TO, KG4 - can be considered
part of the test, but wholesale "mixing" of US prefixes is unhelpful.  I am
gearing up for ARRL 10m.  I hope to make some QSOs with West Coast stations
but propagation will make this a challenge this year.  I want to be able to
identify W6/W7 without wasting time listening for full exchanges.  I guess
I have to accept that the contiguous US is one big callsign entity with no
geographical sub-division but I can't help thinking this is a retrograde
step for contests.

Steve G0AEV
Where G0 = just anywhere in England.  But it's a small country... ...
 Incidentally, for K7QQ's information, KH6DX/M is **not** in England:
M/KH6DX (or properly M0/KH6DX) is.  Good logging software can tell the
difference.