[CQ-Contest] RE: NAQP name handicap experiment

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: NAQP name handicap experiment
From: aaron.hsu@unistudios.com (Hsu, Aaron)
Date: Wed Jan 15 13:44:38 2003
Believe me, a name doesn't have to be *that* unusual, but if it's similar
sounding to other names, you're in for a *LOT* of repeats!

The first time I entered NAQP SSB, I used my real first name (Aaron) not
knowing that you can really use any name you want (as I later determined).
The following was very typical...

Heard: CQ NA CQ NA W6XYZ Contest
Me: KD6DAE
Heard: KD6DAE, Jimbo in Cal
Me: Thanks Jimbo, Aaron in Cal
Heard: Thanks Darrin
Me: Correction Aaron
Heard: Eric?
Me: No, Aaron - Alpha Alpha Romeo Oscar November
Heard: Oh, Aaron, thanks. QRZed

Even when I tried running a freq, people still got my name wrong even though
I'd been phonetically saying it for the past 20 minutes.  Got worse when
conditions were bad and my call was being scrambled (Alpha and Delta sound
alike too).  If I used "David" instead of "Delta", then they sometimes
thought my name was David.  Doh!

So, the next time I worked NAQP SSB, I decided to switch names.  I'm
generally one to follow the rules, so I tried to think up a variation of my
name that would work, but there are no variations of "Aaron" (like Dick for
Richard, Joe for Joseph, Bob for Robert, etc).  So, I ended up using my
middle initials "TC".  Worked *much* better than Aaron, but some people
expect to hear more than just "TC" and ask for it again.  Sheesh.

Oh well. when the time comes, I'll just have to give my children with easy,
distinctive names in case they ever get the NAQP Contest bug.  <g>

73,

  - Aaron Hsu, NN6O (ex-KD6DAE)
    {nn6o}@arrl.net
    {athsu}@unistudios.com