[CQ-Contest] 40m Beams and Domestic Contests

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 40m Beams and Domestic Contests
From: ludal@dmv.com (Dallas Carter)
Date: Tue Jan 21 19:01:23 2003
> Specifically, I'm wondering if there is a strategy to where I should
> point the beam. From MD there's no point beaming east (just DE and the
> Atlantic out that way),

First Nat, let me express my surprise to hear that you don't want to
work Delaware!  Actually, the best thing you can do with that
40m yagi is connect it to an antenna switch with another position
available for a short range antenna.  I would opt for an NVIS
style antenna which will blow that yagi away inside 1000 miles
in all directions.  You did not mention the height of the beam, but
if it is over a half wave length up, the angle will be low as compared
to the NVIS.  I point my 40 yagis west.  Mine are at 85 and 95
feet.  The high one to the NW covers 0's 7's and northern 6's.
The lower one catches 5's and southern 6's.  1's through 4's are
nearly always louder on the 2 el NVIS.
As always, your milage may vary.  The rule to remember is that one
antenna is never enough.
73  Dallas  W3PP