[CQ-Contest] 40m Beams and Domestic Contests

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 40m Beams and Domestic Contests
From: kr6x@kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones)
Date: Tue Jan 21 21:26:58 2003
40 meters provides two different challenges from Maryland in a
domestic
contest.  One challenge is daytime operation, where high angles
provide
for a lot of relatively local contacts on a very crowded and very
competitive
band.  During the daytime your 40-2CD could provide you with some help
on longer haul contacts, but it wouldn't be a good antenna to call CQ
into.
Make sure you have a good -- perhaps a very special -- high angle 40M
antenna for the daytime.  A 1 wavelength loop lying flat at 15-20 feet
high
with a one wavelength loop lying flat on the ground underneath it
(kind of
like a square radial field) to keep ground losses to a minimum is my
suggestion.  But by about 0300Z (depending on solar fulx) you'll
typically
find that most of the power fed into the loop goes right on through
the
ionosphere and out into deep space.  Chicago stations could be 20 dB
or more louder than stations 10 miles away under those conditions.
This
is when the 40-2CD becomes an asset.  CQ with it pointed West, swing
it around when answering weaker stations...