[CQ-Contest] Old topic - New Wrinkle

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Old topic - New Wrinkle
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 19:52:54 2003
I was wondering if there is strong sentiment for adding one more tally box to
contest results "Single Op at Home Station?"

Notice I said nothing about different categories, just a top ten of those who
operate their own station.

Disclaimer: I have always hosted guest ops (K5ZD, K5GN, K7BV, W4AN, NM5M,
N5JJ to name a few) and very much enjoy the role of host and Station Owner,
so I am not at all opposed to the practice of hired guns.

Rationale: Speaking for my station, everything is ready when the guest op
arrives. They have no interruptions, no distractions. Any equipment problems
are fixed by me. We provide food at the appropriate times. They can focus
only on the operating and then leave.

Granted, many guest ops help with antenna work and the like. Some bring their
own food and drink and their own equipment.

The issue is that when I operate at home, I still have the distractions
attendant with home and business. I fix the equipment problems. I tend to
family emergencies and business calls that can't wait. I deal with
unannounced visitors and serve myself meals.

Guest ops also tend to choose very well equipped stations with many antennas
and superior geography (duh!) that they did not fund out of the family
budget. Again, this is not sour grapes, it is just reality. In looking at
recent scores in close contests like SS and NAQP, it does make a difference
whether you are a guest or a resident. I don't want to change anything, just
compare apples to apples, as an aside to the regular top ten box.

Tom, K5RC
aka W7TTT