[CQ-Contest] SO2R Radio Placement

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Radio Placement
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue Jan 28 02:46:41 2003
At 12:09 PM 1/27/03 +0700, frugoli@worldlinkisp.com wrote:
>Hello fellow contesters.  I've been doing some web browsing, and looking at
>SO2R setups.  Mostly what I see is two rigs side by side.  This is how I have
>things setup up now, one rig on the left, one rig on the right and the
>monitor
>in the middle.  However, I find it tiresome moving my head that much to
>see the
>rigs and monitor.
>
>I'm considering stacking the two radios, with the run radio on top and the
>S&P
>radio on the bottom.  Any reasons why I rarely see this setup?  Discussion of
>pros and cons?  I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

Back in June 2001, I asked the same question, and got a lot of good and
thoughtful input.  Most of the messages can be easily accessed through the
list search function on www.contesting.com.  My subject line was "SO2R
radio positioning."  Some replies also used the title "Stacking --it's not
just for yagis."

A majority favored some variation on the side-by-side arrangement, but some
felt strongly that vertical stacking was the way to go.  I think it'd be
worth your time to read the messages to get their rationale.  For what it's
worth, I decided to go with left and right placement, with the run radio
and its amp to the right.

K8ND has also pulled together a good set of resources on SO2R at
http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/Radio/K8ND_SO2R.htm

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database has just been updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm