[CQ-Contest] Packet/internet spotting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packet/internet spotting
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Mon Feb 17 07:55:16 2003
Martin,

I don't believe your situation is limited to packet: certainly packet
exacerbates the situation, but chances are good that a good pileup will
attract lids with or without packet. Packet just attracts that many more
lids.

All of the remedies you suggest (with the exception of the multi-op rule)
are good operating practices that should be followed regardless of packet.

But for calling stations, timing is important but it's not the only thing.
Depending on the size of the pileup, timing may be irrelevant. Timing PLUS
frequency selection is also key: if I call you zero beat to everyone else on
the frequency, my chances are poor. If I slide up or down just enough to
provide a tonal difference on your end, your biological filters have
something to lock on to. I've seen guys who can do that and carry on a full
QSO through the entire pileup din.

For the receiving station, using the tools on your rig are also key: IF
Shift or PBT or slope tuning can help distinguish the guy who's smart enough
to be just a little off-frequency.

I think you're right: education is key. But to me, it's education of general
operating practice that's important: packet is just a side issue.

73, kelly
ve4xt