[CQ-Contest] Maps of ARRL contests

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Maps of ARRL contests
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Wed Feb 19 17:57:07 2003
     I have made a few more maps based upon data from the ARRL online
contest results site.  My maps are located at:

http://www.wm5r.org/maps/

I now have maps made from the most recent data available for:

  * ARRL International DX Contest, CW
  * ARRL International DX Contest, Phone
  * IARU HF World Championship
  * ARRL November Sweepstakes, CW
  * ARRL November Sweepstakes, Phone
  * ARRL 160 Meter Contest
  * ARRL Ten Meter Contest

I think these maps are an interesting visualization of the core
contesters in the U.S.A. (those who submit their logs and enter the
contest.)  Several have asked me about making maps that show
(as well as possible) the locations of all the stations that make
QSOs in the contest, not just those who submit logs.  Others
have asked about contests other than ARRL contest.  These all
require data that I do not (yet) have access to.  If I do get
access to a "valid callsigns" database for a contest, I can
make maps like this.

I'm open, of course, to other suggestions and ideas for how
to make interesting contest maps.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops