[CQ-Contest] New tactic for finding a run frequency?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] New tactic for finding a run frequency?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat Feb 22 20:15:48 2003
At 01:38 PM 2/22/03 -0400, Mike Gilmer, N2MG wrote:
>I don't recall hearing about this in the past, but it happened to me
>several times during ARRL DX CW.  I would be running on a frequency for
>several minutes/an hour/whatever and along would come a station
>(usually quite loud) that plops down really close and starts
>pressing the CQ button...over and over and over for more than a minute
>without a pause - no attempt to see if the frequency was busy, or if
>there was even an answer to the CQ.

About the former, I can't comment, but I often use a short CQ to check if a
frequency is busy.  If it is, I leave.

>I guess this is some brute-force attempt to "clear" the frequency.
>Perhaps when it's time to change bands, they swish the dial, then hit
>F1 ten times, loading the buffer and out goes 10 CQs, non-stop.
>
>After working some stations through the din (periodically sending a
>short QRL/QSY on their frequency) I eventually had to do the same to
>them - sending QRL QSY N2MG over and over on top of them - and they
>would leave.  At the risk of being accused of generalizations, I'll
>state a simple fact: They were all eastern EU DX or same operating
>portable in the US.
>
>Perhaps it's nothing new to some of you guys, and perhaps I've
>experienced this before (I don't recall) but it could not have been
>in the volume of the past weekend.

As I've commented separately, I was surprised to find fewer frequency
fights rather than more this weekend.  Don't know why.  Maybe it's just YMMV

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 1 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm