[CQ-Contest] sharp filters

Subject: [CQ-Contest] sharp filters
From: k4bai@worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Mon Feb 24 16:07:34 2003
I have often tried a very well-known Q signal in this situation without
often getting results.  If, for example, a station is calling me so high
that I can't copy him through the QRM of the next runner up the band and
the stations calling that runner on or near his frequency, I will ask
the station calling me, XX4XX PSE QSY DOWN.  This always comes after a
couple of attempts (at least) of copying through the QRM or catching the
other stations in a momentary lull.

If they don't understand QSY, I doubt we can expect much from a new Q
signal, not yet recognized.

I would like to see such a Q signal, if possible, but it would have to
be more than just a Q signal, as it would be meaningless to those vast
numbers of operators who don't know where their transmit frequency is
relative to the station they are calling.  Most of them assume
erroneously that they are dead on the station they are calling.  So,
there might have to be two Q signals, one for move up and the other for
moving down.  Or one signal with a modifier of UP or DOWN.  Since we are
generally talking about only a few hundred hz, I doubt any further
modification would be necessary.

Nevertheless, I predict very limited success for such measures.  The
guys who don't know whether or not their frequency is zero beat with
what they are receiving are probably not tuned into this or any other
reflector.

Good luck, though.

Maybe just wide publicity for the "QSY" up or down request would be the
most effective thing we could do.

73,

John, K4BAI/8P9HT/8P9Z.