[CQ-Contest] Re: My Frequency (again!)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: My Frequency (again!)
From: it9blb@infcom.it (G. La Parola, IT9BLB)
Date: Tue Mar 4 19:37:09 2003
Salina Physician Anesthesia wrote:

> Finished my feeble effort at the ARRL SSB DX.  Pretty good ant, 6 el HB on a
> 44 ft boom at 35 ft. 1KW.  Made a mistake thinking that ACE prop program and
> flux indicated that 10 would be dead, forgetting that contests generate
> propagation.  Set up for 15 M only.  My skills and the TS940 aren't up to
> wall to wall signals and I ended up mostly S&P and soon ended up working
> everything calling CQ.  Yesterday evening when the signals from the east
> fell off a bit, I turned the beam to JA, found a quiet spot (yes they exist
> in Kansas when Eu falls out) and after asking if the freq was in use, jumped
> in and called CQ.  Started working the 5 and 10 watt JAs about 2 a minute.
> Then someone came on freq and said, "Do you know that there is a net 2 KHz
> up?"  Answer was "No!" and I continued.  Then another came on and asked if I
> could move down a bit.  There was a strong stn there and I was just hearing
> his high tones and couldn't.  About every 5 minutes I had someone come and
> ask if I could hear the net.  Never did.

I had a similar experience on 20meters. I was on a frequency since a couple
of hours when someone came and said that I HAD to move down because
a starting net just 1KHz up my frequency. I was already "compressed" between
two strong stations and answered that I could QSY just few hundreds Hz down,
not more; I tuned a little bit down and, at that time, a sort of real electronic
war started on my frequency. Some years of contesting and a good rig in hands
made me a little bit hard to be overcome by so piggy methods, so I continued to
run my game. I had about one full hour of that treatment but, at the cost of few
missed QSOs, I was able to stay on my frequency till when I decided to move. My
apologies to people I wasn't able to QSO because QRM, I'm sorry just for their
lost times.

> Am I obligated to move?  Ended up with about 70 Asians in that run and I
> only had 450 Qs in the whole contest with a minimal effort.
>
> Thanks,  N0UU

I'm sure WE weren't obligated to move !

See you in next contest.

73s,