[CQ-Contest] WPX what should I do?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX what should I do?
From: mark@concertart.com (Mark Beckwith)
Date: Thu Apr 3 05:59:18 2003
>I would send regrets: the contest is over and all QSO information must be
>exchanged on the frequencies and during the times stipulated in the rules

I think the answer is not cut and dried.  I would first determine if this is
a station which is a major competitor.  If it is, then I would definitely be
a hard-ass about it, especially since it could be that the station wins by
less QSOs than the number of incidents of this email request he got answers
from.

That would be a bad thing.

However, if it is not a "household" call, in fact, if you don't even
remember working him, nor do you remember EVER working him, it is possible
this represents a good opportunity for some Elmering.

Opportunities for Elmering should be important to everyone reading this.  At
that point the initial request becomes less important than the opportunity
to teach which it represents.  Take the opportunity to encourage and teach
the newbie to have the right attitude about trying to reassemble QSOs after
the contest.  Make a friend.

If you're a hard ass, he might give up on contesting.  Don't alienate people
testing the water.

So I guess I'm saying you have to read each request like that on its own
merit - and the answer to the original "What should I do" question is:

"It depends."

Mark, N5OT