[CQ-Contest] THE DAWG!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] THE DAWG!
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Thu Apr 3 19:56:08 2003
Chuck, you really hit the nail on the head. I used to listen to
and occasionally chat with WA4D back in the mid-80's when
he  was active on the HF bands. Mike, got all of his mileage
from the people who would come on frequency and yell at
him. If people would ever get it through their heads that this
is exactly what guys like Mike crave, then most of the QRM
problems that plague the bands would just go away (or at
least be very short lived). If, for instance, everyone had ignored
Mike's antics, he probably  would have turned his rig off and
done something else.  In fact, Mike wasn't half as embarrassing
as all the idiots who were inciting him. This is the same thing
that goes on in pileups for the big Dxpeditions. Some joker
gets on frequency and starts causing trouble, and then a
hundred angry DXers start yelling at him. This just further
incites the QRMer and creates 100 times as much QRM as
the jammer could create by himself. I don't understand why
people do this, but then again I don't understand why people
keep calling the DX station when he is clearly coming back
to someone else.

Anyway, If you hear something you don't like, tape it and
send it to Riley. DON'T touch the PTT switch, it just makes
things worse, especially if the perpetrator is looking for
attention.

BTW, if you got passed the outrageous antics, Mike was
a fairly interesting guy to talk with. I believe he was a
camera operator for one of the big networks. Don't ask
me why I remember this, but he ran a Kenwood
transceiver (TS-830 I think) and a TL-922A amp to an
inverted-V. He always had a good clean signal on 75
meters (I used to love that reverb of his).