[CQ-Contest] QSO Party Spam

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QSO Party Spam
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Sat Apr 5 13:04:29 2003
State & Regional QSO Parties are contests.   I have no problem with a
reasonable amount of announcements from the contest sponsors.

What is reasonable?

Off hand, I'd say one short announcement/reminder at each of the following
intervals prior to the contest:

2 months
1 month
2 weeks
1 week
3 Days
Day Before

Key word there being "short."  Remind us of the event, days it's taken
place, hours, a VERY BRIEF description of notable rules (changes or odd
point assignments) and/or special awards available, a VERY BRIEF addtional
comment/announcement (ie "All 67 Counties in the Pa QSO Party will be active
this year!"), a link to the web page (if any) for full rules & downloadable
forms etc., and an email address (if any) for the sponsors and/or electronic
logs.

I think that if a "standard" format on this or similar lines is adopted by
the reflector sponsors & all are encouraged to abide by it, we cut down on
the ultra lengthy announcements that sometimes seem to be posted almost
daily ad infinitum ad nauseum.

But that's just my opinion... what do I know?

(Should I mention it's 6 months & a week until the Pa QSO Party?  Nah.)
73, ron wn3vaw

"There must be some mistake.  The Pirates in first? QRM on my end,
probably."
--John W3ULS (and there's no QRM, either)