[CQ-Contest] Fwd: [FCG] W3AU SK

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: [FCG] W3AU SK
From: kc1f@adelphia.net (Stuart Santelmann KC1F)
Date: Sun May 11 16:44:51 2003

> I am very sad to pass along this news, W3AU had many friends in the
> contesting community - from his "home" in the PVRC to his later years
> down here in Florida with the FCG, and of course all over the world
> 'twas a time when the callsign W3AU was synonymous for Multi-Multi.
> Zoomar, W3TMZ relayed this update earlier today.  Looks like he will be
> butting heads with W4BVV once again.

I had the pleasure of operating at Ed's house in multi-multis from 1972-74,
having been introduced by Carl K3RV.  I was a 17 year old college freshman
my first time there, and they let me do 10 meters, not thinking that it
would open to Europe.  It did open, and they kept a close eye on me with the
hook ready !  I was indeed instructed that W4BVV was the competition across
the river.  I think in 1972 we were the world high multi-multi, a feat that
will probably not occur again from the US.  Those big towers and all the
Collins gear were a real eye opener for a teenager !  I remember that the
new technology in one of those phone contests was a CQ audio tape loop !   I
also remember that Ed said we would have to get by with "only" a full sized
3 element beam on 40, as a FIVE element beam had come down !  I think one of
the antennas available to me on 10 was an 11 element monobander, which had
such a long boom that it was bending in some high winds when I was there.
Ed himself drove to pick me up at the bus station one time, and welcomed me
with a cold one as soon as I was in the car.  I remember him as a decent,
friendly, and down-to-earth guy.  I would occasionally hear him on from
Florida in the later years.

                        RIP Ed                    Stu            KC1F
(WA1LKX 1970-77)