[CQ-Contest] Team Competition in the IARU HF Championship-WRTC-Style

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Team Competition in the IARU HF Championship-WRTC-Style
From: hwardsil@centurytel.net (Ward Silver)
Date: Mon May 19 08:45:26 2003
First - I am all for real-time scoreboards being available to everyone.  I
don't know of any other sport where the participants almost always "fly
blind" without knowing how the other guys are doing.  There are exceptions -
contests with serial numbers - and we heartily accept these, so why not a
true scoring comparison available to everyone, participants and spectators
alike?  Yes, a real-time score reporting and viewing mechanism will be
welcome.

Second - Bruce's Web page idea will work very well.  Since the stations are
likely to be at a home QTH, Internet access is much less of an issue than
for WRTC, where access was less widespread.  By the way, the OH-team can be
very proud of having such a success with the first version - it makes our
discussion today possible.

Third - based on the success of the Cabrillo standardized log submission
format, a standardized QSO "line format" would also likely bear fruit.
Because there are so many different types of exchanges and the small amount
of information in each QSO, XML would be a very good choice.  This would
likely take quite a while to develop (i.e. - not for this summer), but I
think a prototype schema (the XML "rules" for QSO data) is very do-able
within a few months.

Note - Bruce has also kindly offered to help out with final score entry and
posting for the WRTC-style teams to ease the reporting process.  Thanks,
Bruce!!

73, Ward N0AX