[CQ-Contest] self spotting abuses in WPX CW

Subject: [CQ-Contest] self spotting abuses in WPX CW
From: k1ttt@arrl.net (David Robbins K1TTT)
Date: Mon May 26 14:53:31 2003
Well so far its about 30 messages that like my expose, and none against.
So the flame shields are untouched.  Thanks to all who support my effort
in this area.  I won't try to respond to everyone individually, but
there were a couple of comments that were interesting or require
clarification:

The YITB253 appears to be a salutation from a fraternity member.
Yitb='yours in the brotherhood' which is apparently used by various
fraternities as a signature on mail with the number being their pledge
number.  This seems rather obtuse to broadcast on a spotting network
when there is no way to identify the specific fraternity or sender...
but there have been stranger things on the network I suppose.

Thanks to YL2PU for pointing out how backwards our telecommunications
system is here.  Seems like Lithuania is way ahead of us (at least out
here in the back country of western Mass.) in internet and cell phone
access.  I do have to say one thing, a new GSM phone that one operator
brought here recently is the only one I have seen that can be used from
inside my shack.  Most everyone else has to go outside and stand on one
leg with their phone held overhead to get an analog cell signal.

On the locations where some of the IP addresses traced to... when I say
that it went to a 'numbered network' or something like that it means
that a name was not returned that I could interpret.  This can occur
because whoever is running the network routers doesn't supply a domain
name for their routers to the name servers.  While this is legal it
makes tracing harder... the important point for ones like that is to
remember that even though I couldn't come up with a readable name for
the source machine or network, that there was only one source for all
the spots from different callsigns.

Also on the dxsummit section... remember, these spots were most likely
not put in through an rf gateway.  Because this is a web interface there
is lots of overhead that would make it unlikely to be used from an
amateur rf gateway.  It is technically possible, especially with some of
the new high bandwidth microwave stuff, but again the coverage area
would be very limited on that, probably not covering many countries.
More likely someone going through an rf gateway would telnet to a
cluster node for spotting.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net